Monday, July 9, 2007


It was dire in Newmarket.

Got there early (about 7.30am) and was soooo looking forward to a good 'kick' from my 'doub-esp' - but the blooming shop was shut.
How do they expect to get early morning trade?

Did walk past the named shop (not wishing to name and shame the offending establishment - it was Costa) later on, but snubbed it out of principle.

However, I did manage to get to the Grafton Centre, in sunny Cambridge, on Saturday morning (again really early) and Costa was open and running.

Changed the habit of a lifetime and went for the medio Americano for a reasonable £2.

One thing worries me about Costa though - why are the saucers off-set? I like a saucer you can put the cup in the middle of. Call me old-fashioned but this off-centre thing really puts me ill at ease.
And they always put the receipt in the well of the recess for the cup.
a) You can't read it again as the cup always oozes some liquid on to it;
b) I do like to read receipts (I'm a weirdo like that) and see what info is on it.
While we're on that, don't you just love reading other people's shopping lists?
Whenever someone has left one in a trolley or on one of those clippy things on a trolley, I always pocket it and read what they have bought. You can find out some really interesting things about people on those...

Anyhow, back to me at Costa.
Read the property supplement which was the only freebie paper hanging around and found a lovely new pad - a cool £4 million horsey establishment in Chippenham (think that's out near Newmarket, which would make sense).

If we can get enough together, I'll turn it into a Nero franchise...any offers?

Here's my coffee from Saturday and the napkin. Just for proof.


7 comments:

todaysdaze said...

When I lived in Bury St Edmunds, I liked to go to Thorntons for coffee as they put a chocolate on the saucer, maybe costa were thinking about doing that?

BfpEditor said...

I'd welcome that - I love those litle Italian biscuits (biscotti) you can get all over the place as the coffee just soaks into them (and they don't crumble in the bottom of your cup like a Rich Tea).

Her indoors said...

Glad to hear that you've escaped from Newmarket.

I can recommend the lattes in Chez Gerard. Great taste and look very lovely. Don't get a biscuit though. :-D

Ah...we need a nice coffee shop up on Moreton Hall...although the Self Centre does a good brew!

BfpEditor said...

Thanks, Mummy.

Chez Gerard took over from Caffe Uno?? What's wrong with the biscuits? Perhaps there's scope for an 'I need a biscuit' blog ...

I thought the Self Centre only did carrot juice - surely they don't encourage caffeine?

I did see the nice lady from there in Waitrose once - her trolley was laden with so much greenery and other natural goodies, I think they had to re-stock after she had shopped. Very impressive - wish my trolley looked that good. I always start with great intentions at the fruit and veg stalls - then it all gets squashed under a mound of Hula Hoops, cheap vino, coffee and frozen curly fries (they're seriously yummy).

Her indoors said...

but Mr Bean, the Self Centre's coffees are decaffinated of course. They are still yummy though.

BfpEditor said...

decaff? That's a bit too much like eating those low-fat crisps (which, let's be honest, taste of cardboard).

Anonymous said...

ur sad fucks people do have lives other than work why should they open in newmarket any earlier than what they advertise