Tuesday, July 3, 2007


Not a great day.
Computer problems all round have meant I have not got away from the office and Tuesdays are normally a great day for finding a good seat at a local coffee house.
So it's Original or Gold Blend. But it ain't quite the same.
There's somethnig about the theatre of those people in Starbucks or Nero or Costa and the hissing and spitting. Then there's the machine noise . . . LOL.
I live to fight another day though - I'll be in Newmarket on Friday at the strangely re-named Guineas shopping centre (the old Rookery Centre). All locals will forever refer to it as the Rookery - in the same way that Bury's Cattle Market will never, ever be called the arc.
And there's a gleaming, shiny new Costa in the Rookery (sorry, marketing gurus, Guineas).
I'll do a comparison between that one and the Bury one and report back.
Hope the double espresso costs more for all those well-off horsey types...
And apparently there is a special offer for workers from the Rookery (sorry... Guineas) so I'll try to blag my way into some money off.

8 comments:

Christina S said...

Funnily enough I quite like instant coffee. I prefer it to filter coffee at any rate. I find that when I'm desperate for a coffee I get a better hit off an instant - probably because it's got lots of nasty added addictive stuff in there too ... :-S

My favourite coffee in Bury used to be the Lavazza coffee in Vinch Finch. But they've closed down now.

BfpEditor said...

Oooo, first person to comment - only another 49,999 to go . . .

What's your favourite instant coffee then? I hate to say I get on best with Nescafe Gold Blend, despite those cheesy ads in the 80s featuring the Prime Minister bloke from Little Britain.

Christina S said...

Speaking of coffee ads from the 80s, do you remember those ones for Cafe Hag, a kind of decaf coffee I think, where the character was a stereotypical German bloke called Klaus? The reason I remember is that he used to say "Ah, schmells gut!" when ever he smelt it, and I've been saying that ever since.

I like ordinary Nescafe best. Although at the moment we have some I picked up in M&S - Fairtrade Cafe Gold. Not at all bad. I think they've made it to look like Gold Blend.

I have an embarrassing story about me Gold Blend. I might tell you next time ;-)

Christina S said...

P.S. Do I know you?

Her indoors said...

Mr Bean...did you ever get back from Newmarket? Worried that you might have overdosed in coffee and not made your way out.

BfpEditor said...

Ruby: Cafe Hag - always used to drink that in 6th form. Do they still sell it? My mam always used to buy Camp coffee (the yukky liquid stuff) which is why I was always a water/tea drinker until I found that coffee could taste quite nice really.
My only German worth using which is still with me goes something like 'Ich habe mein bein gebrochen, Froliche weinachten.'
Roughly translates to 'I have broken my leg, Merry Christmas'.
Strangely, haven't used it much...
Oh, and you don't know Mr Bean...

21st Century Mummy: Thanks for posting - just messing with internet settings as the darned thing blew up on me over the weekend. Watch this space...

Christina S said...

So I don't know Mr Bean ... hmmmm!

BfpEditor said...

No - although I have admited your blog for many months and you have inspired me to try, so thanks for that.